The CW's 'Nancy Drew' Is Both Fun and Disappointing

When I first learned that The CW was going to have a Nancy Drew TV series, I was thrilled.  Growing up with the books, I became quite fond of the character, and because of that, I’ve always wanted her to have a successful 21st century movie franchise or TV series.  So, whether that be a new movie or TV series, I would check out a Nancy Drew adaptation in a heartbeat.

But having seen its 18-episode debut season, I’m not sure if I will continue watching once it returns for its season 2.

As expected, this adaptation is “CW’ed” up.  That means mean that it’s grittier, angstier, crazier, and hornier than how the property has been usually known for.  In fact, it’s actually fundamentally an entirely different animal.  Other than character names, it has very little similarities with its source material.  That has also been the case with Archie and Friends with Riverdale.  But while Riverdale worked for me immediately, I have mixed feelings about The CW’s take on Nancy Drew.
I think it all comes down to its supernatural element.  Yes, in this version, Nancy has to deal with real ghosts, magic, and evil spirits on top of murder mysteries.  This aspect produces some great jump scares and gives the show a delightful sense of horror.  On the other hand, it also dumbs down the show.  I don’t like the fact that solutions can be provided through supernatural means.

Actually, the supernatural aspect is established in the pilot.  But I was in denial about it.  For the first few episodes, I sincerely thought that the paranormal stuff being shown – no matter how bizarre and impossible – would eventually be revealed to have a logical, grounded explanation.  But by episode 5, a character gets possessed by a spirit, and that was only when I finally completely realized or accepted that the supernatural things going on in the show were to be treated as real.  It was honestly a turn off.  To me, it felt like the show wasn’t as smart as I thought it was going to be.

However, once I got over that hump, I began to enjoy the show as what it is.  “It’s not really a Nancy Drewshow; it’s a supernatural mystery show that somehow has characters named after Nancy Drew characters.”  That’s how I chose to roll with it.
So, in this take on Nancy Drew, the eponymous character (played by Kennedy McMann) is an 18-year-old who has decided to put college on hold and go on a gap year.  When she was younger, she had been known in their town as a brilliant teenage detective who had had tons of solved cases under her belt.  At the present, however, she considers herself retired.  But when she and four of her friends – Georgia “George” Fan (Leah Lewis), Bess Marvin (Maddison Jaizani), Ned “Nick” Nickerson (Tunji Kasim), and Ace (Alex Saxon) – become entangled on the murder case of local socialite Tiffany Hudson, she reluctantly returns back to sleuthing.  Aided by her friends, she sets out to find whoever is truly responsible.  Meanwhile, she also becomes drawn into the case of Lucy Sable, a girl who disappeared – presumably killed – almost two decades ago and who has since become a local urban legend.  As she digs deeper, she slowly learns that the two cases may be connected.

The “Drew Crew” – the unofficial nickname of some fans for Nancy and her friends – is easily the most entertaining part of this show.  At first, I was disappointed that these characters don’t reflect the dynamic and characterizations of their literary counterparts.  But then I gradually grew to like them.  Actually, the five of them weren’t really friends at the start.  And watching them develop into a tight-knit squad while working together to find the truth behind Tiffany’s murder is pretty fun.
My favorite of the bunch is Ace, an original character for this show.  He’s just too precious, and the chemistry that grows between him and Nancy is pretty endearing.  Yes, the mystery-solving ensemble is a quintet, but if it ever becomes limited to a duo, it’s going to be them.  So far, their relationship is strictly platonic, and their respective romances are with other characters.  But I can totally see them hooking up in the future.

As for the eponymous character, she’s okay.  She’s smart and bold – just like the original.  But she also occasionally gets dumb.  And when she’s dumb and bold, it leads to her making some impulsive decisions that can be frustrating.  Overall though, Kennedy McMann (a stunner of a gal, by the way) and the writers are doing a “so far, so good” job with Nancy’s characterization.  Still, if ever I decide to watch season 2, I hope she will be more striking in it.

Overall, Nancy Drew’s debut season has been mostly engaging with its dramatic overarching mystery storyline and interestingly shocking twists and turns.  It feels bloated, but that’s typically the case with seasonal TV series.
Seriously, the chemistry between them is adorable and electrifying.
Still, by the show exchanged fidelity with sensationalism in order for the purpose of standing out.  By having supernatural elements, it actually stops being a true Nancy Drew show by principle.  It’s not what the character’s all about.  It’s just not the right way of updating Nancy Drew.

So, the question remains: “Why then does it have to be a Nancy Drewshow?”  The answer, of course, is brand recognition.  If it had been totally original, it wouldn’t have had the same hype.  By calling it Nancy Drew, people like me – fans of the character – had to check it out.  This kind of manipulation isn’t uncommon, but this is something that irritates me about this show nonetheless.

I believe that Nancy Drew is timeless.  Yes, I know that there are now already modern analogues of Nancy Drew like Veronica Mars, and without any tweaks, she would seem redundant in the 21st century.  But I sincerely think she can be relevant in the 21st century with just the right amount of updates and without opting for compromising gimmicks.  For example, I was down with how The CW’s take was darker, weirder, and a bit horror oriented.  It just went overboard with having actual supernatural stuff.
To sum it up, let’s put it this way: as a show, The CW’s Nancy Drew is actually quite enjoyable.  But as a NANCY DREW show?  I found it to be a letdown.

Hence, I’m on the fence on whether I will watch season 2 or not.   I only have time to follow just one The CW show where attractive young adult actors play a group of teenagers who deal with nutty mysteries, angsty drama, and steamy love affairs.  And Riverdale already has that quota filled.  It would take something truly irresistible for season 2 to secure my eyeballs.

Perhaps, if the Hardy Boys show up?

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Iklan In-Feed (homepage)

" target="_blank">Responsive Advertisement